As a little girl I nicknamed my daughter Nicole, “Cole Pole”. I asked her to share her secret recipe of these healthy delights. I don’t even like dessert but one of these after dinner finishes off the day perfectly. – Barb
These delicious nibbles are a favourite in our house. They come together quickly and offer more nutrition than many other snacks. I usually throw them together with whatever I have on hand and they always taste sensational! Nicole
Adapted from the original recipe found here.
- 1 cup sticky stuff (peanut butter, sun butter, almond butter, etc. I recommend using the ‘natural’ ones with no added stuff.)
- 1/4 cup sweet stuff (honey, maple syrup, brown rice syrup, etc)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1⅓ cups crunchy stuff (Flax seeds, chia seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chopped nuts, unsweetened shredded coconut, more oats, some people like chocolate chips too….)
- pinch of salt
- 2-4 teaspoons water or additional vanilla extract
In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the sticky stuff, sweet stuff and vanilla extract.
Stir in the oats, crunchy stuff and salt until well combined. Add chocolate chips at the end if you’re using them.
The mixture should hold together when pinched. If it doesn’t, add water/vanilla, one teaspoon at a time, until you can make it into a ball shape.
Form 1” balls by pressing about 1 tablespoon of the mixture together.
Store at room temperature for up to 3 days or refrigerate for 1 week.
I prefer to use roasted nuts/seeds to add a stronger flavour.
If using salted nuts or seeds, consider omitting the pinch of salt.
Can be made without the sweet stuff…. Just use a little less crunchy stuff. But then again, where’s the fun in that?